Reduce BPA Exposure in Pet Accessories

May 28, 2019 2 min read

bpo free dog accesorries frenchie store

At Frenchiestore, we make our Health Harnesses without using plastic buckles. Why you might ask? Plastic buckles on harnesses can end up harming your Frenchie if they break or malfunction. Also eating bits of plastic can damage their digestive system. However, there is another danger from plastic that many pet owners may not know. Pet products made with BPA plastic can hurt your dog, even if they don’t eat it. Plastic has been a standard component in consumer goods since the 1960s. It's taken society half a century, but people are slowly waking up to the various ways plastic can do more harm than good. Not only have plastic products pollute the environment, but they can also be toxic.

What is BPA?

BPA stands for Bisphenol A, is a chemical that is often used to make certain types of plastic. The BPA can seep out of the plastic and end up in food or water that's stored in a container made from BPA plastic. Don't dismiss concerns about BPA in plastics as mere hype. Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers that are made with BPA.

Research - Mayo Clinic

According to the Mayo Clinic, “Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects of BPA on the brain, behavior and prostate gland of fetuses, infants and children. Additional research suggests a possible link between BPA and increased blood pressure.” Though the research doesn’t specifically mention the effect of BPA on our beloved French Bulldogs, it’s fair to assume that BPA exposure is harmful. It is becoming easier to find food containers and water bottles that are made from BPA-free material, however, BPA plastics are still used in things that aren’t meant to be eaten, such as the buckles on harnesses and collars. Dogs love to chew on things, and if your Frenchie chews on BPA plastic, the BPA could get into their system. Even if your Frenchie in not a chewer, BPA can still get in their blood stream just by having them wear it daily.

 Research - FDA

The FDA says low-level BPA exposure is okay for humans, but it’s best to limit exposure when you have the chance. BPA is used in things besides plastic, which means exposure is unavoidable in some situations. For example, BPA resin is often used to coat metal products, such as the canned goods or water supply lines. Research showed that dogs who ate canned food had higher levels of BPA exposure compared to those who ate dry food. Avoiding BPA plastic in the items you buy for your pet can reduce their exposure to BPA.

 FDA free pet accessories:

By keeping the harnesses and collars at Frenchiestore plastic-free, we know they are BPA free as well. In fact, your dog cannot chew or ingest our premium breakaway buckles. Creating products with such high standards is part of our commitment to only sell dog accessories that we feel are safe for our own dog Bluenjy.With our products, you know your pet will be safe from injury, malfunctioning buckles, and toxic materials.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Also in Pawsletter

Liquid error (line 237): internal
Our Frenchie car decals prevent road rage

August 20, 2019 3 min read

It is especially scary to experience a road rage when you have children or pets in the car. Frenchiestore is committed to preventing road rage. Our peeking Frenchie car decals are pawfect in preventing any aggression from other drivers.

Read More
baby girl and her frenchie
What Frenchie owners need to know about BOAS

August 15, 2019 7 min read

BOAS stands for Brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome and affects dogs with a smushed face. These dog breeds are popular and include the Frenchie, all types of Bulldogs, Pug, Boxer, Pekingese, Lhasa Apso and the Shih Tzu...
Read More
winston the frenchie survives a fall new york manhattan building
French Bulldog Miraculously Survives 6-Story Fall

August 12, 2019 1 min read

Winston the Frenchie is one lucky dog. The French bulldog plummeted from a six-story building in Manhattan's Lower East Side, and crashed through the sunroof of a car parked below.

Read More